Re: Issue with USB2.0 camera taking to USB3.0 controller

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 07:48:47PM +0000, KrishnaMohan Bandi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I have a mini PCI Express USB 3.0 controller and trying to connect
> a USB2.0 camera to it. I could not get any video data transfer from
> the camera as the camera freezes with the following message in the
> kernel log (dmesg) as soon as the camera is connected. My kernel
> version is 2.6.38-13-generic and it is running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>
>    xhci-hcd 0000:02:00.0 WARN: short transfer on control ep

That's a normal message, nothing to worry about.  Can you attach the
full dmesg from when the camera is first plugged in?

Does any other USB device work under the host controller after the
camera freezes?  Do you have any other cameras you can test with?

> I understand Linux has got full support do handle USB3.0 controllers.
> Has anyone seen this problem before? Is there any solution for this?
> Appreciate your help and time.

Can you please send the output of `lspci -vvv` so we can see which host
controller you're using?  It might also be good for me to see the output
of lsusb when the camera is plugged in.

Also, if possible, try to upgrade to the latest stable kernel (3.1.4)
and see if that fixes the issue.

Sarah Sharp