Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/2] usb: gadget: introduce support for sg lists

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:

> >that's the same thing as setting no_interrupt on all first 255 requests
> >and only calling completion on the last transfer. The difference between
> >this and the host API is that host SG support is always blocking, it
> >will sleep on a wait_for_completion().
>
> This is true and I need to change this detail in order to fix UAS
> support for hcd which don't support sgs as suggested by Alan. The hcd sg
> interface is blocking but it is no neccesarry a must argument. There is
> no reason why one could not perform it async.

That's true.  But remember there's a difference between "async" and "in
interrupt context".  Given a long SG list, usb_sg_init() and
usb_sg_wait() end up spending a large amount of time creating and
submitting URBs, which is not a good thing to do while in interrupt
context.

Alan Stern