Re: USB3 high-speed write test failure with WDC MyBook 3TB drive

UPDATE

The $30 Rosewill USB3-to-SATA2 dock arrived and works perfectly.

Writing zeros continuously for 30 minutes at 110 megabytes/sec to a 3TB Seagate ST33000651AS (Barracuda XT) drive.  All other hardware and software is exactly the same and the drive is setup the same with no partition table and an unmirrored LVM2 logical volume formatted EXT4.

The dock identifies itself as having an ASMedia AS2105 controller.  It brought the drive up with "732566646 4096-byte logical blocks: (3.00 TB/2.72 TiB)".  A smaller Seagate ST950053 (2.5" Constellation) came up with "976773168 512-byte logical blocks: (500 GB/465 GiB)" and works perfectly as well.

So the problem is clearly with the Western Digital MyBook USB3-to-SATA module.  My impression is that the controller is suddenly going brain-dead.  Probably a firmware bug that crashes the microcontroller.  'lsusb' reveals nothing about the device except that its a "Western Digital" "My Book 1130".

So my advice to anyone buying USB3 hard drives is to seriously avoid WD products until/if they fix the firmware bug.  Current FW 1016 and earlier will fail for sure.

Have to say I'm glad I held off on building and testing kernels--would have made no difference at all and would have wasted much time.  CentOS 6 is much better suited to situation.