Re: Issues with xHCI and USB 3.0

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:05:00AM +1100, Matt wrote:
> On 25/10/2011 10:34 PM, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> >Does that show the failure?  I don't see anything wrong in that
> >particular chunk of dmesg, just the USB device responding with a short
> >transfer, followed by the USB 2.0 bus getting suspended.  I don't see
> >any of the failures in your previous log file like
> >
> >[ 1154.636273] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: ERROR: unexpected command completion code 0x13.
> >
> >You might also want to apply the attached patch that removes debugging
> >about scatter gather lists (since it's really not useful to me and it's
> >filling up the log).
> >
> >Sarah Sharp
>
> I believe it did show the error however I've applied the patch and
> can provide further detail now.
>
> Firstly, this dmesg output should show from boot to when I connect
> the external drive chassis: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=EHd2t3ji
>
> Then, just to be sure that I don't scroll away any useful data, I've
> taken another capture of dmesg after I've attempted to run 'parted'
> and apply a GPT partition to one of the disks:
> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=jBTkVZrq
>
> During this process, parted complains about the disk being inaccessible.

The first bit is that your disk is splitting back READ errors for a lot
of sectors, so either your disk is going bad, or the USB to SATA
connector doesn't like the commands userspace is sending it.  The
usb-storage driver eventually attempts to reset the device because of
the errors.

Before the device is reset, the USB core tries to drop the endpoints
associated with that config.  But the host controller's state for those
endpoints say that they are disabled.  We end up not dropping those
endpoints, issuing a command to the host to basically do nothing, which
the host doesn't like.  But we'll leak memory if we don't drop those
endpoints, so the behavior we really want is to drop the endpoints.

So either the host controller is not tracking the endpoint state
properly (and we should just ignore the disabled state and try to remove
those endpoints before a reset), or something more fundamental is broken
somewhere in between the first log file and the second log file.

I'll have to send you a further patch to debug when exactly the
endpoints get put into the disabled state.  Bug me if you haven't seen
that patch by next Wednesday.

Sarah Sharp