Re: Unable to access 3TB USB drive via IB-351

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> Good point.
>
> That said, I'm also not certain that you want to change UFI.  Unlike
> the other transports, UFI was written (as far as I know) for USB
> devices.  And I believe it says commands shall be 12 bytes only.  So,
> allowing larger commands might be counter-productive.

All right, I'll remove that part of the patch.

Section 4.5.1 of the SFF-8020i spec allows for both 12-byte and 16-byte
commands.  The size is supposed to be determined by the first byte of
data returned by the ATAPI Identify Device command, but that command
isn't available over a non-ATA transport.

I guess it's reasonable to assume that all commands larger than 12
bytes should be padded to 16 bytes.  Does SCSI include any 13-, 14-, or
15-byte commands?  I don't think so.  So it should be okay to just
remove the line setting srb->cmd_len to 12.

Does that sound reasonable?

Alan Stern