Re: Unable to access 3TB USB drive via IB-351

Alan / Simon --

If you look at the device descriptors, it reports itself as an
SFF-8020i device.  This kicks-in code to force all commands to
12-byte, as (I think) required by 8020i.  Of course, for a large
device like this, you might need 16-byte commands.

This probably needs a protocol override to force it back to
transparent SCSI mode.  Either that, or someone needs to take a longer
look at the 8020 spec, 8020 devices, and see if there is a way to make
it work without an override...

Matt

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > The best way to start is to get a usbmon trace. There are instructions
>> > in the kernel source file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I ran usbmon, and inserted the drive. I didn't run any further commands after insertion, just watched to see what happened.
>>
>> Dmesg said this:
>> http://pastebin.com/3v2ihQic
>>
>> Meanwile, usbmon said:
>> http://pastebin.com/38ZxSg6d
>> (I have no idea what any of that means!)
>
> Fortunately, I do!  :-)
>
> The trace shows that an invalid READ(16) command was sent to the drive.
> In fact, you can see it in the dmesg log:
>
> [ 2603.289546] sd 9:0:0:0: [sde] CDB: Read(16): 88 00 00 00 00 01 5d 50 a3 00 00 00
>
> 88 is indeed READ(16), but the command is supposed to be 16 bytes long,
> not 12 -- that's what the "(16)" in the name means.  The drive should
> have refused to carry out the command and returned an error code, but
> instead it tried to do the command and then hung.
>
> It's hard to tell where that command came from, but since it was one of
> the first commands sent, it was probably some program associated with
> udev or ConsoleKit or something like that.  You may be able to find out
> which program it was by running ps or lsof during the delays while the
> system is trying to read the drive.
>
> Alan Stern
>
> --

Matthew Dharm
Maintainer, USB Mass Storage driver for Linux