Re: Unable to access 3TB USB drive via IB-351

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Simon Detheridge wrote:

> > > Any ideas as to what I can do to make this work?
> >
> > The best way to start is to get a usbmon trace. There are instructions
> > in the kernel source file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I ran usbmon, and inserted the drive. I didn't run any further commands after insertion, just watched to see what happened.
>
> Dmesg said this:
> http://pastebin.com/3v2ihQic
>
> Meanwile, usbmon said:
> http://pastebin.com/38ZxSg6d
> (I have no idea what any of that means!)

Fortunately, I do!  :-)

The trace shows that an invalid READ(16) command was sent to the drive.
In fact, you can see it in the dmesg log:

[ 2603.289546] sd 9:0:0:0: [sde] CDB: Read(16): 88 00 00 00 00 01 5d 50 a3 00 00 00

88 is indeed READ(16), but the command is supposed to be 16 bytes long,
not 12 -- that's what the "(16)" in the name means.  The drive should
have refused to carry out the command and returned an error code, but
instead it tried to do the command and then hung.

It's hard to tell where that command came from, but since it was one of
the first commands sent, it was probably some program associated with
udev or ConsoleKit or something like that.  You may be able to find out
which program it was by running ps or lsof during the delays while the
system is trying to read the drive.

Alan Stern