Re: Please teach me how

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 05:18:31 PM gene heskett did opine:

> On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 04:33:53 PM Alan Stern did opine:
> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings;
> > >
> > > to be able to redirect an assembly listing created by an assembler,
> > > to /dev /usblp3
> > >
> > > This command line fails:
> > > [gene@coyote Download]$ mamou -l dcheckmine.asm 2>&1 >/dev/usblp3
> > > bash: /dev/usblp3: Permission denied
> >
> > Instead of redirecting the output to /dev/usblp3, pipe it to lpr with
> > the appropriate -P argument.  See "man lpr".
> >
> > > Running as the un-priviledged user gene.
> > >
> > > And yet this printer is usable through cupsd by me after unplugging
> > > and replugging the parent usb hub AND restarting cups.  It was
> > > present on the system and powered up at the last reboot, but not
> > > discovered.
> > >
> > > Much of this could be prevented if this printer, at least 3 hubs
> > > away from a motherboard usb port because of its physical location
> > > on another desk in the basement, was discovered at bootup time.
> > > However, in order for udevs discovery to work, I am finding that
> > > after a reboot I must disconnect the motherboard port to hub cable,
> > > wait a few seconds, and then reconnect it, at which time the
> > > discovery works normally.
> > >
> > > So, 2 questions really, why can't I (a normal user) use it, and why
> > > is it not properly discovered at bootup?
> >
> > I think normal users aren't supposed to be able to access printers
> > directly.  They're supposed to use programs in the cups package (like
> > lpr) for printing.  This may vary according to your distribution.
>
> This does not always work if the usb tree has been re-discovered due to
> a disconnect after boot even if it finds it when reconnected.  What I
> need is for lpr to be able to use the BROTHE2140 printer at any time it
> is plugged in, even if the parent hub has been disconnected for 5
> seconds every hour on the hour since the last reboot 3 weeks ago.
>
> > Discovery at bootup _ought_ to work.  To find out why not, the best
> > approach is to build a kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled and post
> > the resulting boot-up dmesg log.  For comparison, also post a log
> > showing what happens when the hub cable is reconnected after boot-up
> > (using the same kernel).
>
> Build in progress, using the .config that built this 2.6.38.8-bfs-pae
> kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG now set.  But using my "makeit" script
> which keeps a backup copy of the kernel it is replacing.
>
> > Alan Stern
>
> Thanks Alan, I should be back with a couple dmesgs in a few hours.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Looks like not, my 'makeit' script reported a couple of coding errors in
the make bzImage section:

drivers/pnp/isapnp/core.c: In function ‘isapnp_init’:
drivers/pnp/isapnp/core.c:1107:1: warning: no return statement in function
returning non-void

  MODPOST vmlinux.o
WARNING: modpost: Found 1 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'

Then make modules:

There were 29 section miss-matches while making modules, and the usual
mewling about oversized frame & undefined/un-inited stuff.

And then took an exit while doing a make headers_install:
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/unifdef
  INSTALL include/asm-generic (34 files)
  INSTALL include/drm (14 files)
/usr/src/linux-2.6.38.8-pclos3-bfs-pae/include/linux/Kbuild:25: ***
commands commence before first target.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [linux] Error 2
make: *** [headers_install] Error 2

I can take that out of my script with a couple # signs and re-run it as it
has not attempted to install anything yet.  But that takes about an hour
these days, even using ccache which I supposedly am.  Ridiculous for a make
-J3 on a quad core 2.2 Ghz phenom IMO.  Every new gcc we get runs at 50% of
the older versions speed.

Results eventually Alan, & thanks for your patience.  ;-)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I will make you shorter by the head.
		-- Elizabeth I