Re: Please teach me how

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, gene heskett wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> to be able to redirect an assembly listing created by an assembler, to /dev
> /usblp3
>
> This command line fails:
> [gene@coyote Download]$ mamou -l dcheckmine.asm 2>&1 >/dev/usblp3
> bash: /dev/usblp3: Permission denied

Instead of redirecting the output to /dev/usblp3, pipe it to lpr with
the appropriate -P argument.  See "man lpr".

> Running as the un-priviledged user gene.
>
> And yet this printer is usable through cupsd by me after unplugging and
> replugging the parent usb hub AND restarting cups.  It was present on the
> system and powered up at the last reboot, but not discovered.
>
> Much of this could be prevented if this printer, at least 3 hubs away from
> a motherboard usb port because of its physical location on another desk in
> the basement, was discovered at bootup time.  However, in order for udevs
> discovery to work, I am finding that after a reboot I must disconnect the
> motherboard port to hub cable, wait a few seconds, and then reconnect it,
> at which time the discovery works normally.
>
> So, 2 questions really, why can't I (a normal user) use it, and why is it
> not properly discovered at bootup?

I think normal users aren't supposed to be able to access printers
directly.  They're supposed to use programs in the cups package (like
lpr) for printing.  This may vary according to your distribution.

Discovery at bootup _ought_ to work.  To find out why not, the best
approach is to build a kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled and post
the resulting boot-up dmesg log.  For comparison, also post a log
showing what happens when the hub cable is reconnected after boot-up
(using the same kernel).

Alan Stern