Re: USB MTP driver question

2011/10/4 Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 05:19:13PM +0200, Jack Smith wrote:
>>
>> The thing is, I really want to work on device drivers.  It seemed like
>> USB-MTP would be a good candidate since USB is clearly not going away,
>> and MTP seems fairly poorly supported within Linux (unless I'm missing
>> something).
>
> Look at the libgphoto library, I think all of the code you want to use
> is there.

libgphoto2 has the lowest levels of the PTP protocol, including the
MTP extensions.

libmtp uses the same codebase and abstracts the metadata
and device handling for media applications.

We have a copy of the PTP source in both, we tend to keep
them in sync.

The problems with MTP support on Linux are introductory
described in the libmtp README file:
http://libmtp.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=libmtp/libmtp;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD

One of the biggest problems is that a lot of devices announce
capabilities they do not have, leading to excess blacklist
work. Especially recent Android devices are sinners in
this regard.

Thanks,
Linus Walleij