Re: USB MTP driver question

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 04:36:06PM +0200, Jack Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 07:08 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 03:00:14PM +0200, jack wrote:
> > >
> > > I am hoping to do some work on the USB MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
> > > driver.  Reading linux/drivers/usb/README has left me a bit confused,
> > > since it seems the location for the MTP driver would not be within the
> > > USB directory (linux/drivers/usb) or subdirectories, but rather would
> > > reside somewhere within linux/drivers/media.  However, I don't see
> > > anything that is identified as a MTP driver for a USB device within that
> > > directory.
> > >
> > > Can you help clear up my confusion about this?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that MTP support for Linux is done as a userspace driver
> > using gadgetfs.  If you search the archives for the linux-usb mailing
> > list, you will find a link to where the source code is located, as it
> > has been posted in the past.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> OK, now I feel more confused.  I thought: "The <linux/usb_gadget.h> API
> makes it easy for peripherals and other devices embedding GNU/Linux
> system software to act in the USB "device" (slave) role."
> http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/

Yes.

> Doesn't that mean that gadget API can be used by USB device
> manufacturers who want an Open Source solution for the device's USB
> functionality?  To be more clear, isn't that API used on the device
> itself, and not for a Linux loadable module to be used by my workstation
> machine with that device plugged in to the USB port?

Yes, that's what I thought you were looking for, sorry, I was confused.

If you want the host side of the MTP solution, that too is done in
userspace, no kernel driver needed.  I think it's in the gphoto library
code that uses libusb to talk to the devices.  I'd recommend digging
around in that.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h