Re: Unifying the hc_driver structures for EHCI

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > Oddly enough, hcd_priv_size differs in a few cases; some of the drivers
> > add private data of their own.  ehci-spear adds a clock, ehci-fsl adds
> > a PHY setting, and ehci-pxa168 adds both a clock and some PHY
> > resources.  We're going to have to figure out a way to accomodate all
> > of them if they are to share the same hc_driver structure.  Any ideas?
>
> just don't allocate priv_size yourself ? Something like
> dev->driver_data ?

Right now dev->driver_data points to the usb_hcd structure, which has
the private data allocated at the end.  The allocation is done in
usb_create_shared_hcd(), so that routine needs to know how big the
private data should be.  That's what hcd_priv_size is for -- it gives
the size of the private data.

Alan Stern