Re: Same question, chorus for verse 28

On Sunday, September 18, 2011 07:54:00 AM Greg KH did opine:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 01:01:59AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > Hi all;
> >
> > I just had to reboot in order to get my usb stuff properly enumerated
> > again, a power bump that killed an unprotected hub for 2 seconds
> > caused everthing on that hub to be lost.  And when I replugged the
> > cables in order to trigger new discovery, the ttyUSB# changed from 1
> > to 2, which in turn killed 2 of my scripts.
> >
> > So 3 questions:
> >
> > 1. will we ever, what, 13 years after usb is everywhere, have a
> > consistent discovery & enumeration process?
>
> No, that's not how it is designed.  If you are assuming that it somehow
> is consistent, then your assumption is completly wrong.
>
> Heck, PCI isn't consistent, how could USB ever be?
>
> > 2. Is there some way I can rewrite my scripts to find the device
> > regardless of its being assigned /dev/ttyUSB1 or /dev/ttyUSB2, and
> > can the same technique reliably find an Epson NX515 and Brother
> > HL2140 printers?
>
> Yes, use the proper tools that give you this information.
>
> For ttyUSB devices, use /dev/serial/ links that udev creates.

I see:
[gene@coyote ~]$ ls -l /dev/serial/by-path
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Sep 18 00:23 pci-0000:00:02.1-
usb-0:1.1.4.4.3:1.0-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Sep 18 00:23 pci-0000:00:02.1-usb-0:1.3:1.0-port0
-> ../../ttyUSB0

and:

[gene@coyote ~]$ ls -l /dev/serial/by-id
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Sep 18 00:23 usb-
FTDI_USB_FAST_SERIAL_ADAPTER_FTOOS09N-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Sep 18 00:23 usb-
FTDI_USB_HS_SERIAL_CONVERTER_FTDHG43V-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB1

(this is after the reboot, so the enumeration is now correct)

Either of those would appear to link the device plugged in, to a fixed usb
bus address or name, right?   That I can try.  Thanks.

> For your USB printers, use the usb printer symlinks that udev creates,
> or that CUPS can create manually for you.

And those don't seem to make sense as there are only 2 printers:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           7 Sep 18 00:23 usblp2 -> usb/lp2
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           7 Sep 18 00:23 usblp3 -> usb/lp3
[gene@coyote ~]$ ls -l /dev/usb
total 0
crw-------  1 root root 180, 0 Sep 18 00:23 hiddev0
crw-------  1 root root 180, 1 Sep 18 00:23 hiddev1
crw-rw----+ 1 lp   sys  180, 2 Sep 18 00:23 lp2
crw-rw----+ 1 lp   sys  180, 3 Sep 18 00:23 lp3

Using a distro's kernel, parport is enabled, which is not physically used
but the /dev listing includes lp0 and lp1, I assume because the parport and
parport_pc has created them.  I'll see if I can blacklist parport.

> > 3. Is there a way to do a cold 'restart' the USB subsystem, to make it
> > do the equ of a reboot, without having to reboot the whole machine?
> > I have enough custom scripts running here that a full restart takes
> > at least an extra 10-15 minutes for the stuff that can't be put in
> > rc.local because X isn't running when that file is sourced.
>
> Unload the usb host controller drivers and then reload them.
>
> Note, there are some well-known bugs when unloading some usb host
> controller drivers that can cause oopses if data is flowing at the
> moment, so you might not want to rely on this all that much.

As I found some time back when I tried that.  Locked things up & had to use
the hdwe reset button to reboot anyway.  Keyboard & rodent are wireless-
>usb port so any successful method would have to be scripted.  Sigh.
> good luck,
>
> greg k-h

Thanks Greg.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A cynic is a person searching for an honest man, with a stolen lantern.
		-- Edgar A. Shoaff