Same question, chorus for verse 28

Hi all;

I just had to reboot in order to get my usb stuff properly enumerated
again, a power bump that killed an unprotected hub for 2 seconds caused
everthing on that hub to be lost.  And when I replugged the cables in order
to trigger new discovery, the ttyUSB# changed from 1 to 2, which in turn
killed 2 of my scripts.

So 3 questions:

1. will we ever, what, 13 years after usb is everywhere, have a consistent
discovery & enumeration process?

2. Is there some way I can rewrite my scripts to find the device regardless
of its being assigned /dev/ttyUSB1 or /dev/ttyUSB2, and can the same
technique reliably find an Epson NX515 and Brother HL2140 printers?

3. Is there a way to do a cold 'restart' the USB subsystem, to make it do
the equ of a reboot, without having to reboot the whole machine?  I have
enough custom scripts running here that a full restart takes at least an
extra 10-15 minutes for the stuff that can't be put in rc.local because X
isn't running when that file is sourced.

Thanks all.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us will go to the stars.