Re: g_audio gadget: retrieving data stream from user-space

On 8 September 2011 17:02, Adrien Decostre <ad.decostre@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am currently doing some experiments with the g_audio USB gadget. In
> fact, I would like to be able to process in user-space the PCM stream
> sent by the host and captured by the g_audio gadget driver.
>
> Is this functionality already supported by the current implementation
> or is the data path hard-coded in g_audio?
I am afraid extant f_audio.c hardcodes sinking OUT data directly to the
physical codec on board. There is no option to route it to user-space.

> In the case this functionality is already supported, how can the PCM
> stream be retrieved from user-space? Would it be needed to emulate a
> virtual ALSA sound card in user space or is it possible to directly
> “connect” to g_audio via the ALSA library API?
A virtual ALSA sound card needs to be exposed by the audio gadget driver.
My recently submitted driver is exactly what you need.

I was supposed to revise it as per Felipe Balbi's comments, but got busy
with official work. Hopefully by this weekend, I'll re-submit.

Functionality wise though, you can test that even today and provide some
feedback so that I can improve it even further.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg50854.html
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg50855.html

-jassi