Re: PROBLEM: USB 1.1 (and up) not working on AMD R900 Series chipset

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:41:50PM +0200, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
> This summer I've purchased a new motherboard, the Asus M5A97 running an
> AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor.
>
> The moment I've received this board, I took my trusted Ubuntu 32bit
> bootable USB stick (11.04) and loaded up to test if everything was
> working. There appeared to be no problems so I continued for a few weeks.
>
> As time went on, I decided it was an idea to install a 64bit OS and
> booted the system using a 64bit version of Ubuntu on a USB stick (also
> 11.04). The system booted extremly slow with any USB devices connected.
>
> Reading up on several lists I've tried all tricks to disable USB 2 and 3
> support as that may cause issues, to no avail. So I went back to the
> 32bit install and stayed there for a while.
>
> Back home from my vacation I installed my favorite distro, Gentoo and
> used a 64bit variant. After spending some time setting up the system I
> found I had the exact same USB issues. I disabled USB 2 and 3 in the
> kernel and built with USB1.1 only to still see the same errors when
> connecting anything over USB. Booting works fine, if nothing is
> connected. I've searched far and low but have not found anything that
> solved or related much to my errors, since everything appears to be
> working just fine when switching back to 32bit mode.
>
> Thanks for your time reading this and any thoughts Idea's and pointers.

This really looks like an interrupt routing issue for your hardware and
a 64bit kernel.  Nothing the USB developers can do about this, sorry.

Try contacting the acpi developers by filing a bug at
bugzilla.kernel.org and they can work on this.

thanks,

greg k-h