Re: question about functionfs and composite gadget

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:01:28 +0200
Michal Nazarewicz <mina86@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:46:23 +0200, jacob pan
> <jacob.jun.pan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am trying to use functionfs with composite gadget support for
> > CDC/RNDIS ethernet. For testing, i use the ffs-test tool on the
> > gadget side and connect it to a PC host. For Linux host, usb0 works
> > ok. But it seems on the Windows 7 host side, the USB RNDIS driver
> > does not bind with the device. Is there any additional steps needed
> > to make ffs composite device work with windows 7? Or this is a
> > limitation on the windows side?
>
> Have you taken a look at this message:
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/48777>
> Apparently, there are some issues with current .inf file distributed
> with the
> Linux kernel.  Since I'm currently missing both hardware and Windows,
> I am yet
> to investigate it.
thanks for pointing this to me, i have not seen it before. I am fairly
unfamiliar with windows, I am hoping to have a solution that just works
with the existing windows drivers.

> > Also, if i have to resort to use ffs in pure configuration and
> > g_ether as single function gadget. I would need to obtain the
> > hotplug event when ffs is in use. Then i can switch kernel modules,
> > e.g. from g_ffs to g_ether. Is it correct to say the hotplug events
> > can only be obtained from ffs ep0 by reading ffs events? I don't
> > think we are getting a uevent in this case.
>
> Currently, ffs has no uevents.  It should be fairly easy to add some
> if you really need them.  I think ffs_data_open(), ffs_data_close(),
> ffs_data_clear() and ffs_data_reset() are functions that are most
> interesting.

my goal is to inform userspace the connection status of otg port such
that user can make a decision on which gadget role he wants to use for
the device. It seems these ffs_data_xxx functions cannot definitively
tell the connection state. I guess i may have to add uevents to the UDC
driver or OTG transcriver driver. But it would not be a generic
solution as functionfs.

--
Thanks

Jacob