Re: USB with SDHC card not recognized in 2.6.39 and 3.0rc4

It does seem that NLS_ASCII isn't important (and then I suppose it should be
deprecated?), but the codepages have issues.

If you look at the pages I have attached, it seems that only codepage 437 is
accepted as valid when mounting a volume that is of vfat type, in my case FAT32
*).

Even if I put codepage 465 as default type and have it set, I can't mount the
volume.

I see several problems with this, and it may or it may not be related to USB
Mass Storage, but as a user I think it is.

1. If I have a FAT (12, 16, 32, 64) volume and wants to mount it in a USB
environment, being hindered by an arbitrary language setting doesn't compute.
2. I remember not being able to do stuff because the config.sys and autoexec.bat
files in MSDOS3.2 (and 3.3) didn't match exactly, but as this is more than a few
years ago I don't think something similar should block me now with a current
Linux kernel.
3. I find it to be problematic that settings in different pages when configuring
a kernel build are so related that a 'bad' setting will affect the usage, but
the error message I can get from the utility (mount) is very broad (read:
vague).
4. When building kernels I now always use 'make menuconfig' and if there is an
important relation, it would be great to be able to see that mentioned.

I realize that the kernel-userspace channel is thin wrt. good information for
error messages, but is that then not a somewhat larger issue to bring to the
table with the powers that be?

Anyway, I hope that I can eventually mount a volume on USB, regardless of what
the language setting may be, because that is a second line priority if you ask
me.

Best regards,
Peter

*) When will support for exFAT (aka FAT64) be included in the kernel? Too many
non-technical issues? This is not the right channel to ask about that?