Re: xhci_hcd Warn: Stalled Endpoint with USB 3.0 to esata connection

On Jun 27, 2011, at 1:49 PM, Alan Stern wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, M. Steven Ginn wrote:
>
>> ok attached is the output from usbmon (assuming I did it correctly)
>>
>> please let me know if I didn't and need to rerun it.  I followed the
>> instructions using cat to capture the output to 1.mon.out and then
>> plugged in my USB 3.0 device
>
> The file looks okay.  And it confirms what I suspected: The Addonics
> USB interface is buggy.  It tells the computer that five drives
> are attached when there really are only four.

so is this a firm ware issue with the Addonics?  (i.e. something Addonics should fix?)

> The direct ESATA interface doesn't have this bug.  That would explain
> why it works when you hook it up that way and not when you hook it up
> over USB.
>
> Also, this appears to have no connection at all with USB-3.  If you
> plug the adapter into a USB-2 port, you should see the same kind of
> failure.  Try it out.
>
> On the other hand, failure to work with the fifth drive shouldn't
> prevent the first four from working.  Your usbmon trace didn't show
> what happens when you try to mount one of the drives.

Is there any point in trying to determine this if it's an Addonics firmware issue?

I can't mount any of the drives because they don't show up in either df or gparted when connected via the Addonics port.

> One last thing: It would simplify the usbmon output if you trace only
> the bus to which the device is attached.  In this case, that means
> copying the 4u file instead of the 0u file, since the drive was
> attached
> to bus 4.

Should I re-run this with the 4u file, given the above?

Thanks,

> Alan Stern

Steve
sginn@xxxxxxx