Kernel 2.6.34 & 2.6.39: USB 3.0 port frozen after several power cycles

Hi forks,

I am testing a Western Digital My Book 3.0 drive via USB 3.0 interface. After a
several power cycles (turn on/off) the drive - and many read/write commands in
between, the USB 3.0 port on which the drive is attached to stopped responding
when the drive is powered on/off. If I take out the drive's USB cable and plug
it to the other USB 3.0 port, the system recognizes it immediately. If I plug
the cable to the frozen port half way, the system recognize the drive as a
high-speed (USB 2.0) drive.

I put some printks to the USB code to trace down the problem, I led me to the
call to hub_port_connect_change() function in hub_events() function. In the port
frozen case, the USB_PORT_STAT_CONNECTION bit (bit 0) of portstatus parameter is
always 0. Therefore, in hub_port_connect_change() function, it returns when
checking that bit for not 1 so the code to initialize the port is never get hit.

Now I am stuck right there. I don't know how to get the port back to normal
state from frozen. Is there anyway to reset the port in that case? Any possible
reason that caused the problem and how do I prevent it?

I use a ASUS U3S6 USB 3.0 2 ports card, NEC chip with 30.27 firmware version. I
got that problem with 2.6.34 kernel. I moved to2.6.39 kernel but the problem is
still there.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tuan