Re: Prolific PL-3507 USB/1394 bridge latest firmware doesn't have off-by-one bug

On Sat, 28 May 2011 markk@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >>  It is definitely possible to
> >> determine the version though; the Prolific flashing program does that. I
> >> haven't looked at its code to see exactly how it talks to the enclosure.
> >
> > Maybe we could copy the algorithm.  I don't know if it would be
> > worthwhile, though.
>
> I took a brief look at the flashing program code. It looks like it issues
> SCSI commands, which should make determining the firmware version
> relatively straightforward.

But rather difficult to do automatically, since we would need to know
the firmware version very early during startup sequence.  On the other
hand, it wouldn't be too hard to write a user program that could take
the necessary action.  If necessary, the program could unbind the
device from usb-storage, set up the appropriate quirks flag, and rebind
the device.

> Can you recommend any (free) Windows program for capturing/snooping SCSI
> commands and data sent/received to a device? That would help with figuring
> out how to determine the firmware version. (And should also allow users to
> backup the flash under Linux, maybe even erase and reflash too.)

I don't know specifically.  The available programs have restrictions as
to which versions of Windows they will run under.  Doing a web search
for "USB sniffer" is probably the best way to find one.

Alternatively, you could run Windows in a virtual machine under Linux
and use usbmon to capture the USB data.

Alan Stern