Re: [RFC v3] Intel xhci: Support EHCI/xHCI port switching.

On Fri, 27 May 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:40:50AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 May 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> >
> > > We could just write all ones to the switchover ports, which avoids BIOS
> > > writers all together and assumes the non-working USB 2.0 device under
> > > xHCI is a rare case, which it should be.
> >
> > That's probably the best idea.  For the rare case where somebody really
> > does want to connect a device to the EHCI controller, you could add a
> > "companion" sysfs attribute file to xhci-hcd for runtime control, like
> > ehci-hcd's "companion" attribute.
>
> And it should switch all the ports over to EHCI?  Kind of harsh, but
> it's probably simplest.

ehci-hcd's companion file contains a list of numbers of the ports that
are directed to the companion controller.  If you write a port number
to the file, it gets added to the list.  If you write a negative number
to the file, the corresponding positive number is removed from the
list.

Alan Stern