Re: How best to get over-current notification to user application?

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Juergen Beisert wrote:

> It seems the overcurrent case is an important event. So we really should think
> about how to report it to userland in useful manner.
>
> Alan Stern wrote:
> > There are plenty of error conditions that the kernel does not export to
> > userspace.
>
> Sure. But IMHO sometimes it would be really nice, to have a reliable API to
> filter for some error conditions, than some ugly regular expressions for
> kernel messages.

I'm not saying that these things shouldn't be reported.  But the kernel
needs to have a standard, accepted way of doing this.

IMO, the two of you should start a discussion regarding this issue (how
to report important hardware or software events to userspace) on LKML.
When you do, please CC: linux-usb.  Things to consider include:

	The type of event (hardware failure, data structure corruption,
	imminent data loss, imminent hardware destruction...).

	Whether or not the user can do anything to fix the problem.

	Whatever else you can think of.

Alan Stern