Re: PROBLEM: Mouse connected to USB-3 stopped working 2.6.38->39 regression

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Thomas Lindroth wrote:

> On 04/23/2011 10:17 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
> >>
> >> I made some usbmon dumps of the mouse getting plugged in. I ran
> >> usbmon > file, plugged the mouse in and ctrl + c after about 20 sec.
> >
> > This explains the problem with the EHCI controller.  The mouse can't be
> > used because the kernel thinks it would require more periodic bandwidth
> > than is available on the bus.  Now, I have no idea why 2.6.39 should
> > behave differently from 2.6.38 in this respect.
> Connecting the mouse to a EHCI port fails on both 2.6.28 and .29 but it
> used to be possible to connect the mouse to a XHCI port prior to .29.

(Presumably you mean .38 and .39 rather than .28 and .29.)

Oh, sorry, I must have misunderstood your earlier message.  Now it
makes more sense.

> > You have a bunch of devices all connected to the same EHCI controller.
> > If you can attach the mouse to a different port, one that goes to the
> > other EHCI controller, it might work better.
> I looked into the periodic file and noticed that my Microsoft keyboard
> 4000 used a whole lot of periodic bandwidth for some reason. I assumed
> that a keyboard is a low bandwidth device and put it in the same
> controller as the mouse. Moving the keyboard to the front usb panel
> makes it possible to connect the mouse at the back panel :)

Heh.  A keyboard is low _speed_ ... but that very fact means it uses
more bandwidth than you might think.  Low speed signalling is 8 times
slower than full speed, therefore it requires 8 times more bandwidth.

> Thanks for you help.

You're welcome.

Alan Stern