Re: PROBLEM: Mouse connected to USB-3 stopped working 2.6.38->39 regression

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Thomas Lindroth wrote:

> On 04/23/2011 05:31 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Your separate post didn't include the dmesg showing what happened when
> > you plugged the mouse into an EHCI controller.  In fact, a usbmon trace
> > of those events would be more useful than a dmesg log.  Can you post
> > one of those?  It doesn't need to start until just before you plug in
> > the mouse.
>
> I made some usbmon dumps of the mouse getting plugged in. I ran
> usbmon > file, plugged the mouse in and ctrl + c after about 20 sec.

This explains the problem with the EHCI controller.  The mouse can't be
used because the kernel thinks it would require more periodic bandwidth
than is available on the bus.  Now, I have no idea why 2.6.39 should
behave differently from 2.6.38 in this respect.  You can get more
information from the "periodic" file in the debugging subdirectory of
the controller's sysfs directory.

You have a bunch of devices all connected to the same EHCI controller.
If you can attach the mouse to a different port, one that goes to the
other EHCI controller, it might work better.

Alan Stern