Re: USB HUB issue

On Sunday, April 17, 2011 01:46:26 am Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011, Marcel wrote:
> > Hi,

Just to post a reply I got from Atmel. It seem my issue is related to a known
issue (which btw was not public yet).

Errata:
UHPHS: Packet Loss Issue in the UTMI Transceivers

High-Speed USB Host may lose incoming packets when connected to an external
USB Hub.

A high data transfer error rate has been observed on the High-Speed USB Host
interface when connected to an external USB Hub. The USB remains functional
but the errors may require a reset of the USB interface to recover.

The Full-Speed USB Host operation is not affected by this problem.

Problem Fix/Workaround

A workaround consists of implementing a timeout on the USB communication using
one of the timers in the device and trigger a reset of the USB Host interface
via software and restart the communication. The impact of the workaround on
the data rate is depending on the error rate observed in the application but
can be such that streaming data at high rates becomes impractical.

They mention packet loss. This may be true as the error I got (bad packet
length) always occurred at a moment where I should have received incoming
data. I than received a packet, no further packets.

In short, I have no other workaround than to use full speed hubs.
I think for now we can close this subject and I think Alan's first impression
as mentioned above was after all true (unfortunately).

Thanks for all the help,
Marcel