Re: resetep problem though hub

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has any insights into the likely nature
> of a problem reported with a device that my software is driving.
>
> It's been a troublesome device from a hardware point of view,
> particularly on Linux. On Linux it seems to get in a knot
> when faced with a data read, the workaround being to issue
> a reset EP prior to each read. I guess this could be
> some sort of data toggle issue, because a first read will
> work, and then the next read will time out. Interestingly
> it doesn't happen with this device on MSWin or OS X.
>
> So the resetep workaround seems to work happily on Linux, unless the
> device is on a secondary hub, whereupon it behaves as if
> the reset EP's weren't being issued.
>
> I've seen this behaviour on Linux version 2.6.23.1-42 and latter,
> but interestingly 2.6.9-55 using hotplug behaves differently
> - it needs the resetep's, but works through a secondary hub OK.
>
> Traces from the Linux USB driver debug didn't seem to reveal anything
> interesting - the problematic data read just hangs.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
>   What's the likely nature of the underlying problem, and why
>   is it specific to Linux ?

Hmm, assuming that you are using libusb, I think the issue
would have gone with later kernels (say 2.6.32 or later). Alan
Stern has already post a real patch to the kernel after the following
RFC which was CCed to the libusb mailing list. I think you do not
need the resetep work-around with later kernels.
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/RFC-Skip-sending-Set-Interface-during-driver-unbinding-td6073.html

--
Xiaofan