resetep problem though hub

I'm wondering if anyone has any insights into the likely nature
of a problem reported with a device that my software is driving.

It's been a troublesome device from a hardware point of view,
particularly on Linux. On Linux it seems to get in a knot
when faced with a data read, the workaround being to issue
a reset EP prior to each read. I guess this could be
some sort of data toggle issue, because a first read will
work, and then the next read will time out. Interestingly
it doesn't happen with this device on MSWin or OS X.

So the resetep workaround seems to work happily on Linux, unless the
device is on a secondary hub, whereupon it behaves as if
the reset EP's weren't being issued.

I've seen this behaviour on Linux version 2.6.23.1-42 and latter,
but interestingly 2.6.9-55 using hotplug behaves differently
- it needs the resetep's, but works through a secondary hub OK.

Traces from the Linux USB driver debug didn't seem to reveal anything
interesting - the problematic data read just hangs.

So I have two questions:

   What's the likely nature of the underlying problem, and why
   is it specific to Linux ?

   Why doesn't the reset EP work through a secondary hub on modern
   Linux versions ?

thanks,
	Graeme Gill.