Re: [RFC/PATCH 02/12] usb: gadget: change USB version to USB3.0

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:27:45PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> The exact requirement, as stated in the USB 3.0 specification, is this:
>
> 	The device descriptor of a SuperSpeed capable device has
> 	a version number of 3.0 (0300H).
>
> It seems pretty clear that the bcdUSB value doesn't depend on the
> device's current speed; it depends only on whether the device is
> capable of running at SuperSpeed.

But these gadgets won't work at USB 3.0 speeds when plugged into a USB
3.0 host, correct?  Why change that now, instead of later when the
devices actually do support SuperSpeed?

I don't know if it even makes sense for all these gadgets to be
SuperSpeed devices later.  USB 3.0 is still fairly new, and the USB
device class specifications haven't been updated for that yet.  For
example, how is a USB 3.0 webcam supposed to work, now that there are
additional isochronous transfer opportunities per frame (over USB 2.0
isoc devices).  We don't know yet.

There are some devices that I doubt will ever be marketable as USB 3.0
devices.  A USB 3.0 to serial adapter?  A USB 3.0 mouse?  (Maybe for the
power savings, but I doubt any company will want the added expense for
the USB 3.0 PHY.) So why change the bcdUSB value prematurely for all
gadget drivers?  Why not add support to the gadget interface and then
see which gadget drivers really need USB 3.0 support?

Sarah Sharp