Re: usb gadget Section mismatch warnings

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> In 2.6.39-rc1 on x86_64, I get 92 total section mismatch warnings.
> usb/gadget accounts for 75 of those.
>
> Does usb/gadget code have any special considerations for hotplug-ability
> that is different from the rest of the kernel source tree?

As far as I know, there are no special requirements.  The mismatches
probably arose for historical reasons.  People working on gagdget
drivers tend to be oriented toward embedded systems, where minimizing
memory consumption is a prime concern.  Therefore they try hard to make
sure that code and data can be unloaded when no longer needed.  But
when the first gadget drivers were being written, the rules for doing
this correctly weren't clearly understood and mistakes were made.
Later drivers copied those mistakes, and nobody cared about the
mismatch warnings badly enough to fix them.

In theory, fixing them should be a straightforward, almost mechanical
job.  Provided one can track down the exact causes, of course.  There
used to be a Kbuild option for diagnosing section mismatches, but I
can't find it now -- and I don't remember how much detail it provided.

Alan Stern