Re: usb3 and support for the TI controller

"Don Zickus" <dzickus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:20110325203551.GM1239@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has tried using Texas Instrument's usb3
> controller and had success with it?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Don, group,

You may not remember me, and I am not a regular so you may not,
but I posted a few months ago asking if people would do a few
tests for me on various controllers:
  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/38915
and with replies:
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/38915

Thanks to the wonderful guys at TI, I have a TI usb3 controller
and have done many tests with it.  I don't have Linux and have
not done any tests on it with Linux, so that may not help you
at all.

However, I have done various tests of my own and have had
the card pass each one of them.  I have also enjoyed using the
card since it is considerably different than the NEC card,
which I also have.

Not that I don't like the NEC card by any means, but since
the two cards are quite different, I have been able to test
my code without having the assumption that it works on the
NEC card so it will work on all other cards.

In my opinion, and this is just me, I like the TI card more
than the NEC card.  It has more capabilities, including save
and restore, which I am just now building tests for this
feature.

Again, I am not a Linux user, solely because I don't know
how to use Linux, nor have ever done so more than just a quick
emulation via Bochs.  However, if someone had a small Linux distro
(bootable CDROM) image that was legal to distribute, and pass
along with it some instructions, I would be more than happy to
test the TI card with it.  Please note that I do not currently have
any USB3 devices, though that will be changed in the near future.

With out trying to sound sarcastic, I have a TI card where most
of you may not.  Therefore, I wouldn't mind at all testing
my TI card against your tests and/or code, which in turn would
help the Linux usb community, even though I am not part of
that community.

However, I would think that my request back in November was
not at all wrong, and only wish to continue my work and don't
mind at all helping others if I am capable of it.

Anyway, again not trying to sound sarcastic or rude, but I hope
that I am not stepping on anyone toes here and wish all the
best to you and yours.

Ben