RE: ehci scan_periodic loop time

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, bradhuang wrote:

> Dears,
>
> I have applied the patch that you mentioned. The test result is identical.
> The system will watchdog reset when scan_perodic take long time for loop.
> As my observation, most data are going case Q_TYPE_ITD, but your patch is
> for case Q_TYPE_QH, right?

Yes, it is.

Do you know why the Q_TYPE_ITD case takes so much time?  Can you
determine where most of the time is spent?

For example, is most of the time spent in the call to itd_complete()?

If it is, where does itd_complete() spend most of its time?  In the
call to ehci_urb_done()?

> Why it should occupy IRQ for long time in scan frame list?
> Because the flow is :
> Ehci_irq--->ehci_work--->scan_periodic, then scan_periodic will take long
> time, IRQ will occupied by ehci, CPU can not service other IRQ in this time.
> Any idea?

Try adding some ehci_info() statements in appropriate places, and make
sure CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME is enabled.  Then the dmesg log will tell you
what's taking up so much time.

Alan Stern