RE: Gadget mass storage file change detection

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Barnes, Clifton A. wrote:

> I'm actually using this function along with a command channel
> using g_multi.
>
> Is there a way to just shut off the mass storage
> part while still keeping the command channel active?

No.  Although you could perhaps tell the host to eject the mass-storage
medium.  Once the host is no longer accessing it, the gadget could
safely mount it.

> And naturally, to enable it again with a particular command?
>
> Or, do I need to load two separate modules one with command
> and mass storage and the other just command and switch
> between?

The gadget can't switch like that.  In theory the host could, but why
bother when you can get the same effect by having the host do an eject?

> >> Is there a way to notify the VFS that the file system has
> >> changed?
>
> > Not while the host is using it.  You must unmount the filesystem
> > on the gadget before exporting it to the host, and don't mount
> > it again until the gadget has been disconnected from the host.
>
> Is it possible to shut down the mass storage part as stated above
> and be able to unmount the file system or will it be considered in
> use as long as g_multi is loaded?

It is in use as long as it is the backing medium for the storage
gadget.

> >> Is there a better way to share a file system between Windows and
> >> the device?
>
> > Yes.  Don't use a mass-storage gadget.  Instead use a networking
> > gadget like g_ether, and start up a filesharing server like Samba.
> > After all, that's what you want -- you want to share the files.
>
> It's desirable to have the partition appear just like a flash drive
> when connected to the Windows PC with no software or drivers
> having to be installed.

File sharing is supported by default under Windows, isn't it?

Alan Stern