Gadget mass storage file change detection

I'm currently trying to use the gadget mass storage function to present a FAT32 partition on an SD card as a mass storage device to Windows.  I have been successful in setting up the mass storage module in this way by using the block device.  I can copy files to and from Windows and see them on the device where I have mounted the block device also.  However, the file system statistics (accessed by using statvfs) do not seem to update.  I can remove files from windows and the f_bfree number does not change.  I've also used 'df' and have seen the same result.  I believe this is because the VFS does not know that the mass storage gadget has changed the file system since the mass storage gadget is only using it as a block device.

Is there a way to notify the VFS that the file system has changed?

Is there a better way to share a file system between Windows and the device?

Is there another way to know the amount of free space on the file system?

Thanks for any help,

Clifton Barnes