Re: Wisair UWB adapter

On 18/03/11 10:28, Florian Echtler wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 14:46 +0000, David Vrabel wrote:
>> I hope you like writing kernel code and reverse engineering USB devices
>> as HWAs are unlikely to work well (or at all) with the current code.
> Hm - time's pretty limited right now, but can you point me to any
> additional information (specs etc.)?

The ECMA-368 (WiMedia UWB spec) and the Ceritified Wireless USB 1.0
specs should be freely available.  The problem with the Wisair devices
is that they're not compliant with the WUSB 1.0 spec.

>> Try manually loading the hwa-rc and hwa-hc modules in that order.
>>
>> modprobe -r hwa-hc
>> modprobe -r hwa-rc
>> modprobe hwa-rc
>> modprobe hwa-hc
>>
>> The problem here is the WUSB host controller module was started before
>> the radio controller and it must be done the other way around.
> That helped, at least partially:
>
> uwb_rc uwb0: event 0x00/0013/05 (5 bytes): nobody cared
> uwb_rc uwb0: new uwb radio controller (mac 0a:00:00:09:63:ce dev c0:1e)
> on usb 2-1.2:1.1
> usbcore: registered new interface driver hwa-rc
> usb 2-1.2: supported encryption types: CCM-1 (0x01)
> hwa-hc 2-1.2:1.0: Wireless USB HWA host controller
> hwa-hc 2-1.2:1.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
> hwa-hc 2-1.2:1.0: Wireless USB Cluster ID set to 0xfe
> hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
> hub 3-0:1.0: 5 ports detected
> usbcore: registered new interface driver hwa-hc

You now need to set the CHID to start the WUSB host controller and the
device needs to be associated with the host (probably by using CBA).

See the script Documentation/usb/wusb-cbaf

>>> uwb_rc uwb0: SCAN: command execution failed: invalid state (10)
>>> The documentation both in the kernel source and on linuxuwb.org seems
>>> pretty outdated; can somebody give me some pointers/tips here?
>> You're unlikely to be able to see a Wireless USB device's beacons until
>> it has seen a wireless USB host to connect to.
> Is this documented anywhere? What's the meaning of the values in the
> beacon and scan files?

Documentation for the various sysfs files are in
Documentation/ABI/testing/.  See sysfs-sysfs-class-uwb_rc and
sysfs-class-uwb_rc-wusbhc.

David
--
David Vrabel, Senior Software Engineer, Drivers
CSR, Churchill House, Cambridge Business Park,  Tel: +44 (0)1223 692562