Re: PL2303 and strange errors

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 10:03:08PM +0100, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> thank you for your reply.
>
> On 03/08/11 20:31, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 08:14:20PM +0100, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear list users,
> >>
> >> I've been experiencing very strange errors for the last week with
> >> usbserial/PL2303 driver. Everything used to magically work until a week ago.
> >
> > What changed a week ago?
> >

> Kernel and weather. There is 1wire thermometer connected to PL2303.
>
> No system updates have been made except kernel. I'm also keeping
> with 2.6.32 line, so that's why I've tried different versions.

So what was the working kernel before a week ago?

> [...]
> >> I've tested kernels 2.6.32.25, 2.6.32.28 and 2.6.32.31 and it does
> >> happen in all of them.
> >
> > Can you try 2.6.37.3?
>
> That is kind of answer I didn't want to hear :| But yes, I can try it.
>
> Just to shoot more questions/to be sure:
> * Are you sure it's not just a hardware problem eg. a loose wire/cold joint?
> * Just a mis-configured kernel?
> * Badly written software, although I've succeeded to get this from two
> different apps(digitemp and owfs)

I don't know, not much has changed in the .32 kernel release for this
driver, or the tty layer.  But lots has changed in the years since .32
was released and things should be a whole lot better and this problem
should be resolved (you aren't the first to hit it.)

> This site is ~ 100km away and yeah, I do blame it on "hardware"(I have
> "full" trust in Linux kernel and my distro).
> On the other hand, I had bad experience with serial communication under
> 64bit Slackware64 before.
> I've actually posted it as rather interesting error which might happen
> under very specific circumstances.
> I would be lying though how "glad" I would be if it was just a kernel
> issue. Better than disintegrating everything at the site etc. This sure
> did put fly into my ointment :(

If it's a pain to update, it would be good to figure out exactly what
changed that caused this to break before trying anything else.

thanks,

greg k-h