Re: [RFC] EHCI otg support - how to proceed?

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 11:12:04AM +0100, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> I knew that a ehci controller is often combined with a gadget controller
> to get otg support. What I didn't know is that it's always the same
> gadget controller. Currently we have not less than 4 drivers for the
> same hardware in the tree:
>
> langwell_udc.c
> mv_udc_core.c
> ci13xxx_udc.c
> fsl_udc_core.c
>
> On i.MX we are using fsl_udc_core.c and ehci host support, but we do not
> have otg support. In a test not many patches were necessary to use the
> msm otg support on i.MX.  Even the ULPI support which I considered i.MX
> specific is found on at least marvell chips and msm chips.
>
> Altogether there seems to be enough room for merging code. Unfortunately
> I won't have much time to work on this, so I'd like to ask if anyone
> else is interested in joining forces to get some cleanup done.
>
> At least I think we should pick one of the drivers above, sort the
> architecture specfic part out and rename it to something like ehci_udc.c
> to prevent people from adding even more drivers to the tree. The
> ci13xxx_udc driver looks most promising to me as it already has otg
> support in drivers/usb/otg/msm72k_otg.c and has proven to work on i.MX
> aswell.  Also it has pci support. Originally it was posted for mips, so
> it probably works there, too
>
> Any comments/ideas?

the problem today is that we don't have an abstraction layer on top of
UDCs, there's only the agreement that UDC drivers will export
usb_gadget_probe_driver() and usb_gadget_unregister_driver(), that's
all.

We need a real abstraction layer to do that, I started implementing one
but unfortunately got preempted by next-silicon tasks, so I had to stop.
You can still find the branch in my gitorious tree[1] for reference

[1] git://gitorious.org/usb/usb.git udc

--
balbi