Re: USB: synce-hal does not work with linux usb high speed connection (ehci_hcd)

Messages like this should always CC: the mailing list.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Flynn Marquardt wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> some years ago I reported a problem consuming and now I ask with another
> problem I have.
> If you are not the right person, please tell me who I should ask instead.
>
> My problem:
>
> I use synce-hal (http://www.synce.org/moin/) to connect to Windows CE
> devices through usb.
> All works fine with older devices, that only have usb full-speed and on
> the linux host e.g. the uhci_hcd
> module is used: connection can be established and used.
>
> Newer devices have usb high speed ports and linux uses the ehci_hcd
> module and the connection cannot be
> "fully" established (connection is little bit tricky, details are here
> http://www.synce.org/moin/TechnicalInformation/InitalConnection).
> The needed pppd can be started and the ppp-connection can be
> established, but the device cannot be 'pinged',
> the Windows CE is waiting for some magic bytes, that do not arrive and
> gets a timeout.
> After unloading ehci_hcd (forcing full speed) these devices work fine too.
> So this really a ehci related problem.
>
> Can this be fixed, so that synce also works with high speed?
> In Windows all works fine with these devices using high speed.
> I'll do any debugging, that is needed, sending usb-debugfs, usb-monitor
> output, ...

What version of the Linux kernel are you using?

It would help to see usbmon traces for both a working full-speed
connection and a non-working high-speed connection.

Alan Stern