Re: CONFIG_USB_GADGET_VBUS_DRAW minimum?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 09:29:09AM -0500, David Pyke wrote:
> I have a Vantec NexStar USB3 dock using the JMicron chipset on a NEC chipset
> motherboard hub. The motherboard is a Asus P6X58D-E
>
> I am running 2.6.38-rc4 under Kubuntu
>
> The dock is recognized but doesn't seem to work (writes not committed,etc.)
> unless I set the default on CONFIG_USB_GADGET_VBUS_DRAW to 500 (well, that's

The gadget Kconfig has nothing to do with the host-side drivers to
support your dock.

> the only other setting I tried).  I'm assuming that the dock is mis-reproting
> it's needs but was wondering why the default is set to 2 in kconfig.

The default is 2 because it's the bare minimum a USB device will draw
(well, there are the ones which draw nothing). It's just a sensible
default, manufacturers should fix up the device descriptors correctly
instead of using that Kconfig entry :-)

> I've asked the ubuntu kernel team and they referred me to you.
>
> Is there problem or potential problem if the default setting is changed to
> 500?

Yes, gadget drivers are also connected to OTG or Embedded hosts. Those,
in most cases, can't source more than 1 or 2 unit loads (100 or 200mA),
so if you make it 500mA, those won't get enumerated.

Also, if you're behind a bus powered Hub, you can never get 500mA as the
HUB already consumes at least 1 unit load for itself, again your device
won't get enumerated.

--
balbi