Re: Resetting SS device; SET ADDRESS

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Luben Tuikov wrote:

> The new device allocated has no history and another SET ADDRESS to addr 0
> is sent, which gets dropped on the floor, as the device is already
> in the Addressed state with address 1 _because_ there was no reset since.
> A 2nd reset is necessary with the code as it is written just like with
> USB 2.0.

Or else xhci-hcd needs to know that it shouldn't send that second
Set-Address request.  Either way would work.

> > Perhaps xhci-hcd
> > should always ignore
> > Set-Address requests from usbcore and automatically issue
> > its own
> > requests following initial link training and resets.
>
> This seems to be the case. Another quirk is that "devnum" is never the
> same as the address the device gets.

Yes, that is deliberate.  We should change the log message so that it
doesn't call devnum the device "address".  For example, we could use a
more generic term like the device "number".

Alan Stern