Re: Re: switch configurations early

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the quick reply.

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:13:03AM +0100, Martin Mueller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we have a USB device with multiple configurations and need the second
> > configuration to be set without the first to be set before.
>
> Why?  Isn't this a violation of the USB spec which says something like
> "all configurations must be allowed to be set"?

It is not illegal by spec and does not deny any functionality. It just
takes significant extra time caused by the USB device.

> > As the first configuration describes a class driver "generic.c" will
> > switch to it very early. Switching it to the second configuration
> > through unusual_devs.h or udev is too late and will take the device
> > extra time to switch from configuration 1->2. Is there a way to make
> > USB switch to configuration 2 other than changing usb/core/generic.c?
>
> How do you get around this same issue on other operating systems?
>
> What type of device is this?
>
> What's the problem with extra time at device discovery?  Is there some
> speed issues that are required by something?  The OS is allowed to take
> as long as time as it needs I thought.

The device will be available later as it takes some time to switch
(which is a mainly a device and not an OS issue). It would be more
convenient for the user if the device directly switches to the
wanted configuration and will not idle for a couple of seconds.

Thanks,
Martin