Re: Fwd: Need help on copying contents to a temp buffer from a mass storage device

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:25:16AM +0530, Umer Q wrote:
> >Copy the data from where to where by whom?
> >
> > You need to be a whole lot more more specific here.
>
> for eg:- a pen drive is plugged in , my background process will copy
> the file he opens to another folder without his knowledge. so later i
> can see what he had inside the file .

What makes you think the data is buffered on disk?

And even if it was (it's not) why would you have more permissions to that
buffer than to the mounted pen drive?

And if the data on the drive is not encrypted, why does it matter that this
theoretical buffer isn't encrypted. Encrypting that buffer wouldn't help you
if the FS on the pen drive isn't encrypted.

As Greg pointed out, there are encrypted filesystems (several) for Linux that
encrypt the files on disk and no plaintext buffer is ever written to another
FS. Depending on the implementation of those crypted FSs, it's probably
possible, as root, to grab kernel memory snapshots at the right time and see
small bits of unencrypted data... but then again, if you have root and access
to the kernel, you can pretty much do what you want anyway.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
 and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Seuss