Need for transceiver driver (newbie question)

Hi,

we are currently designing a new hardware board which shall be supported
by linux. We are facing the question if the USB transceiver driver needs
explicit support in Linux or if this support is generic.
In detail, we are considering to replace the SMSC USB3315 transceiver
(which is part of an eval-board which supports linux) by the SMSC USB334x chip.

We assume that we don't need a specific transceiver driver, but can
anyone confirm this?

Best regards,
-joe