Re: USB diagnostic

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, alesan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi I was wondering if there was any mechanism in the kernel to diagnose malfunctions in the USB connections; in particular if a hub has any non-working port or similar. Is there something 'lower level' than /sys/bus/usb/devices to check a hub's (root or physical) status?
> Any possible mechanism to ensure a port is working?

You can use usbmon to trace the data sent to or from a particular hub
or device (see Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt).  Plug a device into the
port and see what messages the hub sends.

Also, if you want to diagnose a host controller, you can look in the
subdirectories of /sys/kernel/debug/usb/ (if your kernel was built with
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled).

Alan Stern