Problems connecting to PIC 18f14k50

Hi all,

I'm on kernel 2.6.36.2 and I'm trying to connect to some custom
hardware which uses a PIC 18f14k50 microcontroller to allow
communication over USB. The PIC is programmed to behave like a
serial port and I would like to have it show up as /dev/ttyXXX
so I can use the standard open/reader/write/close/etc system
calls.

The device is definitely connected and lsusb says this:

  Bus 001 Device 010: ID 04d8:000a Microchip Technology, Inc.
  Device Descriptor:
    bLength                18
    bDescriptorType         1
    bcdUSB               2.00
    bDeviceClass            2 Communications
    bDeviceSubClass         0
    bDeviceProtocol         0
    bMaxPacketSize0         8
    idVendor           0x04d8 Microchip Technology, Inc.
    idProduct          0x000a
    bcdDevice            1.00
    iManufacturer           1
    iProduct                2
    iSerial                 0
    bNumConfigurations      1
    Configuration Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         2
      wTotalLength           67
      bNumInterfaces          2
      bConfigurationValue     1
      iConfiguration          0
      bmAttributes         0xc0
        Self Powered
      MaxPower              500mA
      Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType         4
        bInterfaceNumber        0
        bAlternateSetting       0
        bNumEndpoints           1
        bInterfaceClass         2 Communications
        bInterfaceSubClass      2 Abstract (modem)
        bInterfaceProtocol      1 AT-commands (v.25ter)
        iInterface              0
        CDC Header:
          bcdCDC               1.10
        CDC ACM:
          bmCapabilities       0x02
            line coding and serial state
        CDC Union:
          bMasterInterface        0
          bSlaveInterface         1
        CDC Call Management:
          bmCapabilities       0x00
          bDataInterface          1
        Endpoint Descriptor:
          bLength                 7
          bDescriptorType         5
          bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
          bmAttributes            3
            Transfer Type            Interrupt
            Synch Type               None
            Usage Type               Data
          wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
          bInterval               2

In earlier versions of kernel, this device was handled by the
cdc-acm module, but in this kernel, that module doesn't want
to talk to the PIC. I have tried hacking the cdc-acm module
to explicitly look for this VID/PID, but that still hasn't
helped. There are no interesting or useful dmesgs either.

Any clues on how to further debug this? Pointers?

Thanks,
Erik
--
erik de castro lopo