Re: Bug in USB 3.0 Driver on Lenovo W510 laptop - USB does not let me remove and re-insert

I've been hearing some reports of other issues on that Lenovo that seem
to be related to electrical failures.  But I'd like to rule out the
possibility of a kernel bug.

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 04:14:15PM -0500, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
> Hello Sarah,
>
> Pardon me if I am not using the right method of reporting this problem,
> but it has been a long time since I had to submit a kernel bug report.
>
> Most of my equipment is purchased "lagging edge", and usually for me the
> kernel "just works", and if there is a problem, it tends to be in the
> distribution, not in the kernel.  But in this case I am fairly sure it
> is in the kernel.
>
> I read the Kernel Newbie pages and they said to first just send email to
> the engineer working on it, and I knew that you were working on the USB
> 3.0 support.  If you want me to file a formal bug report through
> bugzilla I will, but the newbie pages told me to go this route first.
>
> I bought a W510 Lenovo notebook recently, particularly to get the USB
> 3.0 support and I have been having problems getting it running.
>
> I am running Fedora 14, and it comes with a kernel of:
>
> 2.6.35.9-64.fc14.x86_64
>
> but the USB 3.0 ports were dead with that.

Dead how so?  Do you mean that USB 2.0 devices and USB 3.0 devices are
not showing up at all when you plug a device into the USB 3.0 ports?

Can you please send me the dmesg from boot for that particular kernel,
including an attempt to plug in a USB device.

> I have been following a bit of the email trails on it, and today I
> installed
>

> linux-2.6.37-rc5
>
> with patch:
>
> patch-2.6.37-rc5-git3
>
> (I did not try to apply next-20101209)
>
> 64-bit and with SMP and PREEMPT on
>
> and after building and installing the kernel (it has been a VERY long
> time since I have done this last) I could access my Kingston USB 2.0
> memory stick.  I have not tried a USB 3.0 device yet, but from an
> earlier test of linux-2.6.37-rc5 without the aforementioned patch I was
> able to get the USB 3.0 device working, so I am fairly sure it will
> work.
>
> This particular issue is that when I click on the icon to "safely remove
> the drive" everything seems to work ok and the drive is unmounted.
>
> However when I look at the Kingston, its little light keeps flickering
> dimly even when the drive is unmounted.  If I pull the drive out of the
> socket for a few seconds and re-insert it nothing happens.  I can leave
> it in a long time and nothing happens.

The light flickering may or may not be indicative of an issue.  The port
is still powered, even though userspace has unmounted the drive.  What
does dmesg say when you unmount, remove, and then reinsert the drive?

> Then if I move the drive to the USB 3.0 socket immediately below that
> one, the second socket mounts the drive.  I click on the icon to remove
> it and it is unmounted....but then the drive continues to flicker as
> before.  When I remove the drive and re-insert it, the slot seems dead
> again.
>
> Then I move the drive to the first slot, and it is now alive, and mounts
> the drive.  I unmount the drive and the slot becomes dead again.
>
> I can do this repeatedly.
>
> Finally, if I have the drive in a "dead" socket (either the top or the
> bottom one) and do an "lsusb" as a general user, the slot becomes alive
> and mounts my drive.
>
> Interesting, eh?

That's very interesting/scary behavior.  Please send me the dmesg for
those tests.  You might need to recompile with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD_DEBUGGING turned on later, but the dmesg you have
should be good enough to get a high-level idea of what's going on.

> Thank you for all the great work you do.  Backing up my notebook using
> USB 2.0 was really becoming a drag.

You're welcome. :)

Sarah Sharp