Re: Plugging USB2 webcam into a USB 3 socket

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Neil Benn wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         I am looking into plugging a bunch of USB2.0 webcams into a
> USB3 connection.  I wanted to connect a USB3.0 hub into a USB3.0 port
> and then connect a few USB2.0 webcams to the USB3.0 hub which will
> then have the bandwidth to connect the cameras at the highest speed of
> USB2.0.
>
>   However, I'm not sure if I can connect 4 USB2.0 webcams and then run
> them at high speed down a USB3.0 port via a USB3.0 hub.  Basically can
> I connect 4 USB2.0 devices for them to run at full speed into one
> USB3.0 port?

Better than that, you can connect four USB-2 devices to a USB-3 hub and
have them run at high speed, not just at full speed!

On the other hand, you don't get any benefit from using the USB-3
controller and hub when you do this.  You might just as well use a
USB-2 controller and/or a USB-2 hub.

Alan Stern