Re: usb hard drive abruptly disconnects during data transfer

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 03:40:40AM +0300, Linux User wrote:
> Hello.
>
> >From time to time I experience problems with external hard drives
> connected via USB bus to my laptop. An USB device may suddenly go
> off-line after receiving some amount of data. I use docking station for
> SATA hard drives and some other usb-hdd boxes and Asus A6J laptop with
> openSUSE 11.2. None of USB storage devices almost never go off-line on
> its own will when idle and rare while reading data, but all of them do
> it very often during writing data to them. I'm not sure if this is a
> certain bug in USB subsystem of the kernel of a hardware problem, but
> different kernels work differently in the situation I mentioned above.
> Recently I tried kernels 2.6.34, 2.6.36, and now I'm testing 2.6.37rc4.
> As far as I remember, the problem still exists with any of them, kernels
> below 2.6.30 worked better but they had other problems (pcmcia, etc).

Are you sure this isn't an electrical issue?  The log shows that the
device is electrically disconnecting itself, which is not something that
the kernel can do.

If you use a different cable does this go away?  How about providing
more power to the drive with an external power supply?

thanks,

greg k-h