usb hard drive abruptly disconnects during data transfer

Hello.

>From time to time I experience problems with external hard drives
connected via USB bus to my laptop. An USB device may suddenly go
off-line after receiving some amount of data. I use docking station for
SATA hard drives and some other usb-hdd boxes and Asus A6J laptop with
openSUSE 11.2. None of USB storage devices almost never go off-line on
its own will when idle and rare while reading data, but all of them do
it very often during writing data to them. I'm not sure if this is a
certain bug in USB subsystem of the kernel of a hardware problem, but
different kernels work differently in the situation I mentioned above.
Recently I tried kernels 2.6.34, 2.6.36, and now I'm testing 2.6.37rc4.
As far as I remember, the problem still exists with any of them, kernels
below 2.6.30 worked better but they had other problems (pcmcia, etc).

The system log and other files recommended for filing a bug report are
in the attachment.
---
Linux User