Re: AMD Geode CS5536 problem

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Alex Sinchenko wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I'm trying to deal with OHCI issues on AMD Geode CS5536. I use
>> PCEngines Alix alix2d3 mainboard, that have one 1.1 and one 2.0 port.
>
> Are you sure that each port isn't connected to both USB host
> controllers?  That's how mainboards are usually designed.

You are right, but I can see these ports in Linux (and equipment
connected to them) only
if I load "proper" module - ehci-hcd for first port and
ohci-hcd for second.

>> On each of ports we connect USB hub tusb2046, with two CM108 USB
>> audiocards and two CP2102 usb-serial converters on each, all
>> externally-powered.
>
> That's the way they are connected now?

Yes

>> We used to have four sound cards on one USB host and four converters
>> on other, and all worked fine.
>
> Do you mean that you used to have all four sound cards plugged into one
> of the hubs and all four serial converters plugged into the other hub?
> How do you know that the two hubs used different host controllers?

Well, I was wrong with it. There is only one host controller in CS5536
that provides
independent mode for each port.

>>  But on 12 we was not be able to use all
>
> What do you mean by "on 12"?

Sorry. I mean 12 mbit/s. Probably it is not enough to use four sound
cards connected to the same hub.

>>  4 sound cards in parallel, getting "no bandwidth" error.
>> After we rearranged devices, problems with device detection arised. I
>
> Did you go back to the old arrangement to see whether the detection
> problems went away?

Yes.

> What are the exact differences between the working and non-working
> arrangements?

Difference is only in devices connected to each port on board.
Combination "4 soundcards on one port and 4 serial converter on other" works.
Combination "2 soundcards and 2 converters on port" do not work.

>> tried different versions of the kernel (specifically, Voyade Linux
>> kernels 2.6.26 and 2.6.30 optimized for Alix boards, and vanilla
>> 2.6.35.1).
>> I tried all possible combinations with ehci-hcd and ohci-hcd loading
>> order, tried to not load ehci-hcd to see if usb 1.1 port will work
>> correctly.. No success.
>
> It would be best to run the tests with ehci-hcd not loaded.

Ok, but for test only - without ehci-hcd one USB port on mainboard
is invisible in Linux at all

>> I turned on USB Debug, see dmesg output in attach.
>
> Try again, without ehci-hcd and with only one hub plugged in, no other
> USB devices.  Let's see what happens then.

I will try that ASAP.

>> Interestinly, if switch off and on power on devices and hubs when
>> Linux is loaded, devices are detected correctly.
>
> Please be more precise.  Do you switch the devices and hubs off
> _before_ booting, _during_ booting, or _after_ booting?  And at what
> time do you switch them back on?

After Linux fully booted, I switched device and hub power off and
instantly switched it on.

>>  Just removing and
>
> What happens if you boot with all the devices and hubs unplugged, and
> then plug them in one at a time after the system is running?

All works correctly. Obviously, it's the same situation as I said
about switching off and on.

> Alan Stern

Thank you very much, Alan.

--